Sunday 11 December 2011

Stories: The Tale of a One-Piece Ski Suit.



Those of us that are seasonal working holiday types are well-known for our love of ridiculousness on the mountain. The truly dedicated own a one piece ski suit, all the rage in earlier skiing years, referred to fondly as the "onesie". Now, they actually are practical for several reasons, the main being that on a powder day you are safe from the phenomenon known as "powder down the pants".
(It’s exactly what it sounds like.)

One piece suits are never flattering, and if picked correctly, are a little too tight (you'll find it's normally men that go all out with an inappropriately fitted onesie), and are either patterned to look like an old couch, or have trimmings of neon. I say this with the arrogance of youth; at 26, I missed those years on the hill in the 80s and 90s where the one-piece was the height of fashion and sophistication.

I still do not own a onesie, despite being positioned in the very best spot to secure one, the WCSS Re-Use-It Centre. There was one onesie I fell in love with one time...

It was the Fall of '09. I was new to Whistler, Canada, and thus new to my place of employment, the WCSS Re-Use-It Centre. I was working as a cashier one day, minding my own business when a customer with a gleam of fanatical excitement came to the counter. This gleam was one I had come to know quite well in my so-far short term of employment at the thrift store, it being that of someone who has found the perfect Something, and cannot believe their luck.

He was an Australian gentleman, and in his hands he had the most beautiful onesie I think I have ever seen. It was bright red. it had gold embroidery on the back, and a hood with a red fur trim. It was a thing of beauty, a sight to behold...

With my heart breaking a little, as I knew this onesie could never be mine, I sold it to the excited Australian man. I could see love in his eyes. Who was I to get between soul mates? I sold the onesie to him for a very fair $20, sighed to myself and let it leave the store.

I thought of the onesie from time to time, but I never saw it on the mountain. I did keep my eye out, but I did not see it on Australia Days or Gaper Days for the next two seasons.

Just the other day my household had a barbeque. I introduced myself to the guests that arrived, and got to chatting with a nice Australian boy. As always happens, we covered the "how long have you been in Whistler" and "where do you work" segments of the conversation. Upon discovering that I worked at the Re-Use-It Centre, the Australian boy proceeded to tell me about his best find at the store (this also often happens: occupational hazard). Lo and behold, this was the very same Australian boy who had purchased the heavenly red onesie all those years ago!!!

I discovered that he had spent 20 of his last 40 dollars (at the time) on the onesie. I discovered that he had been offered $1000 for it on the hill one day, and he had refused the offer. His female housemate thinks it is hideous, but he doesn't care: he loves the onesie, and it shall travel with him back to Australia when he finally leaves this place (we did not establish when that might be, for, who really ever knows?).

It is a true and pure love he has for the onesie. I am so happy that such a beautiful thing found such a warm and appreciative home.




There will be more stories to come- if you want to share with us, we want to hear your stories! Get in touch via phone or email- details listed below.
--Helen, Manager at WCSS Re-Use-It Centre

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. You can also email WCSS office: admin@mywcss.org, Re Use It Centre: reuseit@mywcss.org or Re Build It Centre: rebuildit@mywcss.org.